Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Frugal Pizza!

Pizza is one of my favorite foods, but ordering it is so expensive. My family would spend anywhere between $15 and $22 for one pizza meal, back when we used to get our pizza from a restaurant. I started making my own pizza about a year ago and I never looked back. Here is my recipe!

Perfecto Pizza
5 tsp yeast
2C warm water
5-6C bread flour
1Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
About 1C pizza sauce
4C shredded cheese
Toppings of choice
Dissolve yeast in the warm water for 5 minutes in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add salt, oil and 5C of flour and mix on low for about 1 minute. If the dough is too wet, mix in more flour 1/2C at a time until the dough comes together in a smooth ball and cleans the sides of the mixer bowl. Knead the dough for about 2 minutes longer. Place dough in a greased bowl and spray cooking spray over the top. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise until doubled (about an hour).
Punch dough down.
Preheat oven to 450
Cut dough into 2 equal pieces and roll each piece into a round about 10-12 inches in diameter. Place rounds on 2 greased cooking sheets, rolling the edges slightly to create a crust. Spread about 1/2C sauce over top of the pizza and sprinkle 2C shredded cheese over the sauce. Top with desired toppings and bake for about 20 minutes, switching the pans around halfway through.
My favorite pizza toppings:
Chicken, pineapple bacon, or just chicken and pineapple!
Mushroom and green pepper
Ham and pineapple
Pepperoni bacon (my husband's favorite!)

The way I keep this pizza easy and frugal is I buy bread flour in bulk from Sams club at $7 for 25 pounds and I buy shredded cheese from Sams club at $6.75 for 8 pounds. I know that's a lot of cheese, but it lasts for a long time in the fridge and I use it for other recipes, like lasagna and baked ziti.

4 comments:

Frugal Liz said...

I just tried a new topping combination today! Roasted garlic, tomatoes and mushrooms...YUM!

The Frugal Engineer said...

We love homemade pizza, too! We make it more of a thin crust and bake it on a pizza screen.

For a cheap and easy pizza sauce, try cooking tomato paste with some minced onion, garlic, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper, and enough water to thin it to your desired consistency. Sometimes I even just spread the dough with tomato paste and sprinkle with all the spices if I forgot to make the sauce! Super cheap, and great taste.

Frugal Liz said...

Heh, I usually just use leftover spaghetti sauce, because I almost ALWAYS serve spaghetti at least once a week! We bought this enormous bag of meatballs from Sams club for like $6, so spaghetti suddenly became a whole lot easier! Do you ever make pizza sauce from crushed tomatoes? That's what I use to make my pasta sauce.

Mary said...

Making your own pizza is also healthier!